Slow Down and Look

I am a full-time artist working at home in Stonehaven, N.E. Scotland: selling work as a painter, writer and maker both online and through local exhibitions.

I am trained but prefer to remain UNTAMED, Unframed, Unconstrained and Unconventional. Here you will see art in progress: you can buy my finished paintings etc through the gallery link on the right ~ Bern Ross

Monday 27 June 2011

Busy, busy, busy

Here are a few photos of projects I've worked on recently, excluding all the textile thingies I'm doing which you'll see at a later date.

This sculpture is entitled 'Daffodil' and I've wanted to complete it for about 40 years! I just never had the time or where-with-all to do it.
Really it needs to be on a plinth at shoulder height; but at last I've created it and that's what matters.
Daffodil is made from wood and wool.

I promised myself I would do some painting en plein air and this subject especially leant itself. Painting outside did me a lot of good and certainly loosened me up so that this picture began to work when I'd originally  thought it was going to be a disaster.

When I brought it indoors for some finishing touches I felt more free to paint what I wanted on it!



You can probably see (from my surroundings en plein air) why I have a penchant for messy organic-looking paintings.


In contrast, however, the clean stark lines of the sea, the crisp air and clear light we have here in N.E. Scotland all make me want to paint pictures that convey the purity of it all too.

Seeing this 'Harbour Lights 2' on thumbnail helps me realise the red harbour light needs to be bigger. Work in progress - ah... there's always work waiting to be done! Always, always.

Thanks for reading!




2 comments:

Fran Hillman said...

Well this is a wonderful, wild and wacky post. Lovin that Daffodil!x

Unknown said...

Thanks Sis! I do find it difficult keeping up with blogging when I've got so much on the go, so it seemed right to add a few pictures of things I'd not shown. There's a lot more still in the pipeline for another day!