Slow Down and Look

I am a full-time artist working at home in Stonehaven, N.E. Scotland: selling work as a painter, writer and maker both online and through local exhibitions.

I am trained but prefer to remain UNTAMED, Unframed, Unconstrained and Unconventional. Here you will see art in progress: you can buy my finished paintings etc through the gallery link on the right ~ Bern Ross

Sunday 1 August 2010

Age Will Not Weary

It's always difficult to know which pieces of my work, if any, I should submit to the local annual Art Club exhibition. This painting is iconic for the locality, depicting the War Memorial and its beautiful surroundings in an abstract/ stylised way. The seagull shape has the words of the English poet, Laurence Binyon (1869-1943) signed in silver along its wing and it flies under a silver sky. There is rain/snow/mist in the air and distant hikers heading for the Memorial. Anyone who has walked along the coastal path by Stonehaven will understand the painting although it doesn't literally depict a particular scene.

"Age will not weary, nor the years condemn..."

The painting is unframed (because the picture goes right around the edges), it's thick with texture, uninhibited in brushstrokes and unconventional compared to the neat specimens all around. But it's unfettered art and I'm grateful to the art club for giving me the chance to show it to a wide audience.

2 comments:

Magnetic Island Artist Edward Blum. said...

The more I look the more I am amazed. Briliant art, individual, powerful and creative. Thank you so much for sharing. An enrichment of life. Greetings from one amazed Australian.

Unknown said...

Thank you Edward Blum. I am always amazed at people finding my work and liking it. Good luck to you with yours.